The story presented by Miss Tunzelmann, focuses on the Mountbattens more than anyone else. How Edwina and Louis Mountbatten fell in love in India, went back to England and got married. Their marriage did not turn out to be a fairy tale, but which marriage does? Edwina started seeing other men and Dickie(Louis' pet name) became embroiled with the Navy. Later, Dickie was made the last Viceroy of India, responsible for transferring power from the Britishers to Indians. Edwina accompanied her husband to India, despite their growing differences. This is were Edwina met Nehru, she was smitten and he was bedazzled. Thus, began a love affair between the wife of perhaps one of the world's most powerful men and the future prime minister of the largest democracy the world would ever come to know.
According to the author, the reason for India's independence was not the non violent struggle put up by Nehru and Gandhi and not the violent struggle put up by the likes of SC Bose, but the result of a number of external factors:
- Growing economic pressure on England after the second world war, there were not enough resources to rebuild England, so how can resources be diverted to administer a behemoth hundreds of miles away from the homeland.
- Stigma of being a colonial power, people in the west were becoming extremely sensitive to the idea of subjugating another people, they had experienced first hand the imperial designs of Nazi Germany.
- USA, the most powerful nation in the world, was anti-imperialism and as a friend and ally of Britain was exerting great pressure on them to get out of India
- A certain eventually is best tackled with acceptance, the Britishers did not wanted to leave on a sour note.
- Patel was indeed a force to reckon with and him along with Louis Mountbatten were responsible for unity and integrity of India, he was also a hawk when it came to Kashmir
- Rudyard Kipling, author of the Jungle book supported the actions of General Dyer who killed hundreds of unarmed innocent people in Jallianwala bagh
- Nehru was adamant that Kashmir join India and not Pakistan, he had a special attachment to his ancestral land.
- Jinnah was so pompous and snobbish that he lost elections in UK, where people rejected him cause they thought the cadaver like figure was too much of a 'snob' even for the English.
- Gandhi slept naked with his niece to prove self control, another masala 'fact' by the author;we have to understand it is difficult for the westerners to comprehend eastern philosophy.
- Louis Mountbatten, last viceroy of India was killed by IRA terrorists when they blew up a boat.
Recommended for history buffs.